Your Self-Image – How You Present Yourself Will Boost Your Career and Your Life
The way you think about and present yourself will have a large impact on your life, and those who are truly successful realize this and have forged their minds to think positively—both about themselves and about situations around them.
When you pursue a positive self-image, it’s important to pay close attention to your appearance (in more than just the aesthetic sense). It’s important to come across as a confident and approachable person while also being assertive and forward-thinking.
The first steps of self-image and positivity begin outside of the design studio. Taking special care to groom yourself in small ways will affect your mindset in the long run. The more you care for yourself, the more pride you will feel.
Even when you are experiencing failure or hard times, it’s important to maintain a positive and confident mindset. After all, as Thomas Edison once said: “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
Think about these small ways you can take steps to grow your self-image every day.
– The Right Haircut & Shave – Some men underestimate the psychological benefits of having a well-maintained head of hair and facial hair. Even if you insist on having long hair and/or a beard of some type, it’s important to take care of that hair and beard. Make them look like some attention goes into grooming and caring for them. Taking care of your hair and facial hair will show special attention to your appearance.
– Have Your Clothes Adjusted To Your Height – This is overlooked by many men. Regardless of the budget you’ve set for yourself on pants and shirts, there are many tailors out there that will help adjust shirts and hem pants. Having pants that do not drag under your shoes and fit you comfortably will look appealing to those around you and also show that you take a little bit of extra care to your appearance.
– Find colors that work for you – Instead of buying to stay trendy or popular, find colors that work for you and your personality. Colors can have special meanings in regards to your personality, and when we work with clients at our design studio we help find colors that work for that particular individual. Your shirts and ties will be the true centerpieces of your apparel, along with the subtle coloring of your socks, shoes and more. Make sure these colors work for you and that you are happy to wear them, instead of wearing clothes for other reasons.
– Pay Attention to “Small Details” – I put that in quotations because there are no small details when it comes to your self-image, confidence and self-esteem. Even if you don’t want to spend an arm and a leg, you should be matching smaller details to your style, especially if you are going to be dressing up in a suit for work, a wedding or a job interview. This means no white socks, and using things like cufflinks, tie bars and wurkin stiffs to keep your shirts, collars and sleeves on point. People will notice these things, especially if your appearance is likely to be judged, like during a job interview or worse, a first date.
– Be Proud of Yourself – It’s important to be proud of your achievements and not dwell on failure. At the same time, don’t undersell yourself and avoid speaking negatively. The less you speak and act negatively, the more it will subconsciously bring out the positivity in your life. One of the most important things I can tell you about improving your self-image or confidence is to be positive and proud about yourself and who you are. If you’re working on improving yourself then focus on that and take pride in the knowledge that you have the opportunity to change and improve yourself everyday.
These are just a few things you can do to improve yourself. Positive self-image and confidence will come through in your personal endeavors. If you’re setting yourself up for a sale, your guest will be judging your character as well as your business. If you’re at a job interview, you’re selling yourself to a company; your skills as well as your personality.
Even if you’re already married, it’s important to invest time into yourself and your own personal development. Whether you need to find a barber or a book, there are many ways to improve yourself, from your mindset to your business endeavors.
Take pride in yourself and build your confidence. People around you close and afar will take notice, and over time it will improve your own mindset.