As we move into the third month of 2018, we can begin to take stock of which New Year’s resolutions didn’t pan out (we’re looking at you, gym membership) and which ones turned out to be more feasible. For lots of men, an organized, functional closet is an achievable goal with just a little bit of guidance.
A closet audit with the help of a professional image consultant will streamline the process of getting ready every morning. More importantly, it will also refine your personal style, enabling you to make improved wardrobe decisions in the future.
If you’re unsure of where to begin in your closet audit process, the Philadelphia men’s suit and image specialists at Henry A. Davidsen are here with some tips to get you started.
1. Any article of clothing that you have not worn in a year, for whatever reason, should be thrown away or donated (if possible). These outdated and never worn pieces are just clogging up valuable closet space.
2. If you want to look your best every day, get rid of any shirt, blazer, or pair of slacks that you do not absolutely love. Life is too short to not look as fresh as possible.
3. If you have an item that doesn’t fit right, and you simply cannot part with it, take it to a tailor. If any articles are too small (again, with that pesky gym membership) store them in the attic or the basement—anywhere not in the closet—until they are ready for use again.
4. Dated, torn, or otherwise damaged garments should be thrown away. Stained pieces could benefit from a trip to the dry cleaner.
5. When the elimination round is over, it’s time to start organizing what’s left in your closet. There is no right or wrong when it comes to organizing and should be based upon your own personal preferences, but a good way to start is to keep like items with like items: pants with pants, button-down shirts with button-down shirts, and so forth.
The master image consultants at Henry A. Davidsen are here to help you get the most out of your closet audit. Whether you have a good hold on your style or need a total wardrobe makeover, we specialize in taking your image to the next level with customized services and garments. Give us a call at 215-310-0219 to chat about the image you’d like to project.